A Travellerspoint blog

Indonesia Part 2

G Adventures tour "Classic Bali"

sunny 32 °C
View Jen and Tony round the world on Jen-Tony's travel map.

English Version is in Italics
Dutch Version is in Normal Type

So this is the final leg of our journey, after our mediocre experience with the Contiki Tour I wasn’t really looking forward to the G Adventures tour of Bali and I’m pleased to say that this tour is so much better than the Contiki one! The group is much smaller, 8 people and the tour guide has been excellent.

We started in Sanur and had dinner to get to know each other, the guide has tried to take us to as many local restaurants as possible and it really shows in the prices of the food and drink, and quite often the food is more authentic. The next morning we started our trip and the first stop was a view of some of the rice fields that are all over Bali.

On the way we saw a Scooter that was worth making a video of ... I'll let you watch it to find out why!

Zaterdag 8 December om 18:00 begon onze G adventures Tour-Classic Bali & Lombok, de eerste avond hadden we een groep meeting en vertelden de leider wat het plan was en zagen we de andere groep members van de tour, we zijn met ze 9en inclusief de tourleider dus dat was leuk, niet zo’n grote groep. We zijn in een restaurant gaan eten met de groep in het centrum van Sanur.
De volgende dag zijn we van Sanur naar Munduk gegaan, we hadden een eigen busje met chauffeur.Onderweg zijn we gestopt om wat fotos te maken van de rijstvelden.Onderweg zagen we nog een scooter, hoeveel kan een scooter meenemen..



Next we stopped off at the stall of a Fruit Seller, there were all kinds of weird and wonderful fruits for sale all of which I can’t remember the names of but they were all nice to eat!

Ook zijn we nog even gestopt bij een fruitkraam aan de kant van de weg en mochten we wat fruit proeven; rambutan,jackfruit,manggis en snake fruit,heerlijk allemaal.



Next we went to the one of the local hot springs, the water was naturally heated to around 38 degrees Celsius … Not really the best way to cool off! However there was also a waterfall nearby which was good for cooling down.

Hierna zijn we een uur gestopt bij de hotsprings, veel van de locale bevolking gaat hier op zondag heen. Het water ziet er groen uit door de zwavel die hier is. Warm water 37/38 graden, alleen was het wel raar, het is warm buiten en warm in de hotsprings, ik denk dat het beter is als het buiten koud was, maar het was even goed leuk.

Next we went to one of the Hindu temples called “Ulun Dara Beratan” – The lake temple we got our first taste of tropical rain during this visit, luckily we were able to shelter while it was coming down. The Hindus put a cloth around things that they believe to hold spirits which can be seen on the picture of the ancient tree.

Na de lunch zijn we naar de temple :Ulun Dara Beratan geweest, de tourleider legde uit wat het allemaal betekende in de Hindu, interessant om het te horen.De hindus doen een doek om standbeelden heen en bomen omdat ze denken dat dit spirits vast houdt.Het regende alleen ontzettend hard wat jammer was.



As we headed higher up the winding roads into the highlands we made our way to the homestay in Munduk. We had a fantastic view of the village along with a sunset and lightning to go with our dinner!

Na de temple kwamen we aan bij de “Homestay” in Munduk, prachtig uitzicht hadden we op de rijstvelden, de “Homestay” zag er leuk uit. s’avonds hadden ze balinees voor ons gekookt en pisang goreng als toetje.




The next morning we had a guided hike through some of the rice fields near the Village, it was a two hour walk with some great views and forest. At the end there was a waterfall which had just been refreshed with the previous night’s rain.

De volgende morgen zijn we met een andere gids van het hotel door de rijstvelden naar de waterval gelopen.Wat leuk was dat om door de rijstvelden te lopen en ook bomen met fruit eraan en coffee plantages, leuk om te zien, soms waren de paden wel erg smal en hoopte je dat je niet viel want dan rolde je wel een heel stuk naar beneden.








After the walk we headed to Singaraja which was the old capital of Bali, we had lunch on the pier and then went to the market afterwards. The market is where the people of the town buy most of their things (no supermarkets here!) all kinds of foods were on sale, chilli, chickens, fruit, vegetables, spices and other items like clothing and containers.

Voor lunch zijn we gestopt in Singaraja wat de vroegere hoofdstad was van Bali, we zijn wezen lunch bij een restaurantje op de pier.Hierna zijn we nog over de markt gelopen van Singaraja dit was geen touristische markt maar een markt waar de bevolking heen gaat om hun spullen te kopen.Jeetje wat een dingen verkopen ze daar en wat een eten, dooie kippen met hun hoofd en alles er nog aan, gedroogde vissen,en veel fruit.







On the way to our next hotel we stopped when our guide saw some locals harvesting their rice crop, it was totally unplanned so it felt a little awkward but the locals were more than happy to let us take photos and even asked if we wanted to have a go at beating the rice! So Jen stepped up and tried her hand at harvesting, it looked like hard work and I do not envy the people who have to be outside in the sun all day doing it!

Op weg naar Kintamani zijn we gestopt bij een rijstveld waar de boeren hun rijst eruit gingen slaan.Natuurlijk wilde ik even de rijst eruit slaan. Maar goh wat een werk allemaal, dit doen ze dan de hele dag en zwaar, in de hete zon en ze krijgen er geen drol voor.Als je naar de supermarket gaan betaal je 1 euro ofzo voor een pak rijst, kan je nagaan hoeveel ze krijgen. Maar het was interessant om het te zien.




On our way to Kintamani we stopped to make a photo of the nice view and I held a leguana.

Onderweg naar Kintamani stopte we nog om een foto te maken van het prachtige uitzicht en waar Tony ook nog een foto kon maken van een leguaan.




We got back on the road until we arrived at “Kintamani” which is very close to the Active Volcano “Mount Batur” the hotel had stunning views of the lakes and volcanoes.

In Kintamani stopte we bij het Lakeview hotel waar we uitzicht hadden op de vulkaan “Mount Batur”.Wat een uitzicht,zo mooi.



We had an option to do a Volcano Hike up Mount Batur the next day to see the sunrise, this meant getting up at 3 AM in the morning to try and arrive at the view point for around 5 AM to see the sun come up. Armed with flash lights and a guide the first 45 minutes of the walk were not too bad as the incline was not too steep however the second part of the hike was a lot more challenging. There was no path as such, just a way up and it was easy to lose your footing and doing it in the dark made it even more interesting! We reached the view point near the top of the volcano around 5 AM and had breakfast while we watched the sun come up.

De volgende morgen, of eerlijk te zijn de volgende nacht om03:00 zijn we ons bed uit gegaan om een 2 uur op de vulkaan te lopen om de zondsondergang te zien.We hadden een aantal gidsen met ons mee en iedereen kreeg een zaklantaarn en water flesje. Het eerste stuk viel wel mee, ik had natuurlijk weer een blaar op me enkel, gelukkig had de gids een pleister voor me. Het laatste stuk was zwaar, het was erg steil en veel stenen, dus je moest erg goed kijken waar je je voet moest zetten. Om 5 uur kwamen boven aan, en hier kregen we een broodje met ei en een plakje kaas waar je de plastic er nog vanaf moest halen, en een koffie en een stuk fruit, dat was wel erg leuk hoe ze het geregeld hadden.





After the sunrise and the breakfast we had a choice to go up another 30 minutes to the summit, the path was even more steep here and was mostly sand and dust so it was very slippery. We of course went up and a few people lost their footing here and there but we arrived in one piece! The way back down was not as simple though, I think most of us fell down once or twice on the way.

Hierna kon je kiezen of je nog een 30 minuten naar de piek ging of naar beneden.En de piek was nog steiler met veel zand. Natuurlijk zijn we naar de piek gegaan.Wat een fantastisch uitzicht was het.





On the way back down we stopped by one the crater to have a look at a natural cave and a steam vent which proved the volcano was still very much active somewhere down below. There were even monkeys hanging around in the area, probably eager for left over breakfast from tourists.

De weg naar beneden was trouwens ook moeilijk omdat er veel kleine steentjes waren kon je makkelijk uit glijden.Ook stopte we onderweg bij een krater waar stoom uit kwam zo kan je zien dat de vulkaan nog steeds actief was. Ook waren er aapen die hier rond de vulkaan rond liepen.




After the Volcano we had a chance to grab a shower and breakfast (again!) and then we were back on the road. We stopped off at the largest temple complex in Bali where you are required to wear a Sarong which is basically a dress, both men and women need to wear one in order to enter.

Om een uur of 9 waren we weer terug bij het hotel en om 11 uur gingen we op weg naar Candidasa.Onderweg zijn we gestopt bij de grootste tempel van Bali, hier moest je een sarong dragen om in de tempel te gaan.



We arrived at our next stop in the afternoon, Candidasa an old seaside town which used to be the destination of choice many years ago. We went out for dinner and drinks in a really cool little bar and got a bit drunk on Arak and various mixers.

Hierna zijn we verder gegaan naar Candidasa. S’avonds wat gegeten en gedronken bij de bar “ New Queen” leuk restaurantje/bar was het.Te veel Arak Attacks hadden we gedronken, ze zeggen hier dat 3 glazen arak goed is dat is voor je ziel maar dan de 4e dan word je een vogel omdat niemand je kan verstaan, bij de 5e glas wordt je een boom omdat je heen en weer zwiebelt , bij het 6e glas word je een aap omdat je niet meer kan lopen en bij de 7e glas wordt je een muis maar waarom weet ik niet meer.


The next morning I had a bit of a headache but that was nothing a few paracemtol wouldn’t fix so after breakfast we joined up with an optional snorkelling trip. After seeing the Great Barrier Reef it was a bit of a let-down, there was a lot of rubbish floating around and in the sea, there were also loads of jellyfish. Still it cost a grand total of £8 for a few hours so it was still worth going out to see and one of our travel companions Matt has an underwater camera so we stole all his photos!

De volgende morgen mochten we zelf weten wat we gingen doen, we zijn eerst wezen snorkelen in Blue lagoon, was mooi om te snorkelen hier maar The Great Barrier reef was veel mooier.




In the afternoon we went to “White Sand Beach” which really lived up to its name, it was a little hidden beech with a few restaurants and was virtually empty when we got there. We had a few hours to eat lunch and sit around or go swimming in the clear water, I could still see my feet through the water when it was up to my shoulders!

Hierna zijn we naar “White sand Beach” gegaan waar we wat gegeten hadden en heerlijk hebben genoten van het uitzicht.Het was er zoo rustig op het strand.



We had dinner at the Hotel Restaurant that night and I went for fish, I’m not normally too keen on fish but I was glad I chose it. The grilled fish was huge and tasted really good … And it cost only £5 I have no idea how much you would need to pay for this in England but I guess it would be a lot.

s'avonds hadden we gegeten bij het restaurant van het hotel, Tony eet bijna nooit vis maar had deze keer toch maar vis besteld,een super vis.


In the evening we went back to the bar because there was a live band playing, they were really good and soon the drinks were flowing again. Our tour guide Penji even got up and sung “Under the Bridge”, that’s the spirit!

Na het eten zijn we natuurlijk naar de bar gegaan voor meer arak attacks.Er was een rock bandje die daar speelde en de tourleider ging een aantal liedjes mee zingen, en kon goed zingen.



On our way to the last hotel of the tour in Ubud we stopped by a local who harvested Sea Salt for a living. It looked like really hard work, the guy would lug sea water from well the sea and then leave it to dry on the sand. When the water had dried he would collect the sand and salt and filter it in his hut.

De volgende dag zijn we onderweg gestopt bij een zout kwekerij. Waar ze zout maakte, wat interessant om te zien, maar zo zielig , zo’n oude man met 2 zware manden vol met water. En dan gooit hij het water over het zand en laat het drogen zodat de zoutkorrels overblijven.





After we arrived in Ubud we had an option to go and watch a traditional Balinese dance at the Palace. We decided to go and see the performance; all of the instruments were played by men, with two female singers. There were 8 dances and the show was about one and a half hours long it’s probably just better to show the videos and pictures as it’s hard to describe but it was really interesting to see it. Especially take note of the expressions on the faces of the dancers, they try to maintain the same expression all the way through and it looks kind of creepy!

Hierna zijn we gaan lunched bij een stichting voor gehandicapte mensen, waarbij je kettingen,schilderijen etc die de mensen allemaal zelf hebben gemaakt, en ze lieten ons allemaal zien wat ze daar deden en wat de stichting voor hun betekende.Na deze stop zijn we door gereden naar Ubud waar we 2 nachten verbleven.Wat een leuk stadje is Ubud heel veel kunstenaars en kleine boutiekjes. S’avonds zijn we naar een tradionele Balinese dans geweest bij het paleis.De uitstraling van de dansers zien er allemaal eng uit maar dat hoort zo bij het Balinees dansen.




Our last activity for the Bali section of our G Adventures tour was the Elephant Safari Park where we got to ride on an elephant through the jungle, feed the elephants and watch a show. Probably something I will never be able to do again so it was well worth the trip! We took so many pictures and videos it’s better to show those than describe it.

De volgende morgen zijn we naar het Olifanten park geweest waar we de olifanten mochten eten geven en waar we daarna op mochten rijden.Was raar om op zo’n groot dier te zitten, wel leuk hoor, was wel erg hobbelig.








The last thing we did before leaving Ubud behind us was to go to the "Monkey Forest" the monkeys here are not very shy and will steal food out of your hands, so you must make sure you do not take any in with you.

Na het olifanten park zijn we naar de monkey forest in Ubud geweest, het was eigenlijk een groot bos/park met tempels waar apen rond liepen. Was leuk om te zien,maar ze zijn wel brutaal, 1 aap liep naar Tony toe en zat in Tonys broekzak te voelen of er wat in zit.


This ended the first week of our G Adventures tour, we did a lot of stuff and I can say our group of 8 and tour guide Penji was awesome. We plan to squeeze in two more entries before we come home, one for our next week Lombok and Gili Islands, and another to round up our World Trip.
Thanks for reading!

Dit was onze eerste week van de G-adventures tour, het volgende deel komt snel!
Liefs xx

Posted by Jen-Tony 00:42 Archived in Indonesia Tagged monkey_forest mount_batur candidasa elephant_park Comments (3)

Indonesia Part 1


sunny 30 °C
View Jen and Tony round the world on Jen-Tony's travel map.

English Version is in Italics
Dutch Version is in Normal Type

Here we go again! We had a 7 hour flight to Singapore which included a stop over before heading to Indonesia, we didn't have a chance to explore Singapore since we our next flight was leaving early in the morning. I got into the spirit of things and had rice for breakfast on the flight.

En hier gaan we weer op naar ons volgende en laatste bestemming!Vorige week dinsdag zijn we vanuit Sydney naar Singapore gegaan omdat er geen directe vlucht was moesten we in Singapore overnachten en de volgende morgen ging ons vliegtuig naar Denpasar.


Our Hotel is in Kuta called the "Kuta Paradiso" which is a 5 star hotel by Bali standards though it's probably closer to 4 star by European standards. Anyway the Hotel is very nice and at £65 a night for two people it's cheaper than the dirtiest hostel we stayed in at Australia! Here's a few pictures of what the place looks like, the things that really stand out is two guys play on some type of glockenspiel for a few hours from 8 o'clock like some kind of alarm clock. The hallway has it's own mini garden and you have to go through a metal detector before entering the hotel, probably due to the bomb blast that went off all those years ago

Vorige week woensdag zijn we aangekomen op Bali, we werden opgehaald door de chauffeur van de hotel. Jeetje op het vliegveld al wat een drukte al die taxi chauffeurs en alle mensen die je willen helpen met je baggage.We verblijven in Kuta Paradiso hotel aan Kuta Beach.
Toen we aankwamen kregen we een heerlijke cocktail.Hier onder wat fotos van het hotel.Elke morgen bij het ontbijt zijn er 2 mannetjes aan het spelen op een houten instrument, geen idee wat voor instrument maar het klinkt leuk.


There is of course a swimming pool too!

Het zwembad s'avonds en overdag.



Here is the mini garden in the hallway.

En de gang als we onze hotel deur uitkomen.



One thing you notice as soon as you arrive here is the sheer number of scooters on the streets. They are everywhere you look and the locals drive them anywhere they will fit including the pavement. We have even seen families of 4 people on single scooters, and people carrying the same amount of luggage you could fit in a small car boot on their scooter.

Nadat we de spullen hadden uitgepakt in de hotelkamer zijn we de buurt gaan verkennen. Jeeezus wat een drukte al die scooters en taxis.



The streets in Kuta can go from quite well maintained to in ruins depending on what street you are in. Some streets frequently smell of sewage as the concrete covers are degrading with lack of maintenance. We saw some guys doing maintenance one day so I took a photo of them it seems most work is done by hand, and it looks like they just do the best they can with the tools they have. Other places in the city look new I guess there just isn't enough money to maintain everything in the way we are used too in the West.

There are plenty of people trying to sell you things here like in the U.S.A however they are not so pushy and do not try and get money out of you for small talk or advice. I actually feel very safe here in Kuta, something I could not say for the U.S.A even though the people here are much poorer than anywhere else we have been.

Vlak naast ons hostel hotel is een marktje waar we door heen zijn gelopen en jeej wat een kleding; jurkjes,tshirts en souvenirs. Iedereen die roept " yes please Come look in my shop yes" " Massage miss".

Ook liggen hieroveral van die bakjes die de mensen hier neerleggen voor het aanbidden voor hun god.

De mensen zijn hier wel allemaal super lief, ze zeggen je gedag of glimlachen. Hier een paar straten makers, weer eens wat anders dat de stratenmakers in Nederland waarbij je hun bilspleet ziet en fluiten als je voorbij loopt ;)


We visited the bomb memorial to pay our respects, just looking at the list of names clearly shows you who the main visitors are here the Aussies. I didn't really mind the Australian's in their own country but they behave exactly the same here, mostly the young ones who are very loud, usually drunk and pretty disrespectful. It seems to be the same situation with the Brits in Spain, or maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy!

Natuurlijk zijn we even langs het bom monument gelopen, wat een mensen en zooveel Australiers. Het stikt er hier van de Australiers, zelfs de verkopers van de kraampjes denken dat je een Aussie bent en gebruiken Australische woorden " Buy some sunnies miss" "Good day mate" en ze hebben zelfs Tim Tams (Australische chocolade koekjes)in de winkels die kon ik natuurlijk niet laten liggen. Maar ik vind de Australische jongeren hier in Bali wel brutaal en wat zijn ze arrogant, bah


We have been to quite a few of the Indonesian Restaurants sine we got here you can get a really good meal for as little as £3-5, Alcohol is often more expensive than a main course but still much cheaper than it would be back home.

s'avonds hebben we tegen over het hotel gegeten, nasi goreng, yumyum en Tony had iets met kip.


We hired a surfboard online through rentasurfboard.com which was a really good way to do things. They got delivered to our Hotel for a total of 8 days rental for two surfboards we paid a measly £70. In Australia and even here in Kuta if you go to a retail surf shop you need to pay about $20 USD per hour! So we got a real bargain. The waves here are pretty strong but the bigger issue is the water gets deep very quickly which isn't great for beginners ... However after the 4th session I finally managed to stand up on my own a few times! So here's another photo to show the first one wasn't a fluke!

De volgende dag hebben we een surfboard gehuurd voor de hele week, je hebt hier ook van die tentjes op het strand die surfboards verkopen. Maar we hadden een betere deal gevonden. Voor de hele week 2 surfboards was £70.




We hired a driver for half a day to take us to some of the temples near Kuta which cost us 400,000 Rupia (£30 or so) ... You can't even get to the airport for that in England. Anyway we must have spent about 3 hours on the road and when we went into the temples he waited outside for us at his car, we went to Mengwi which is a Royal Temple and had a look around it was really beautiful.

Natuurlijk als traditie zoals we gedaan hebben in New York, Hollywood,Las Vegas en Sydney ook in Bali cocktails en wat gegeten bij het Hardrock cafe.

De volgende dag hebben we een taxi chauffeur gehuurd voor de hele dag en zijn we eerst naar Mengwi tempels gegaan.



Next he took us to another temple called "Alas Kedaton" which has a twist, it's been invaded by monkeys from the nearby jungle they are everywhere, one of the locals showed us around.

Hierna zijn we naar een andere tempel " Alas Kedaton " geweest waar apen rond liepen.



If that wasn't enough they had a load of fruit bats there so we paid a small fee to hold one, it decided to have a wee on Jen poor Vegetarians!

Wat je hier ook kon doen is met een Fruit vleermuis op de foto, en jawoor als het geen duif is die op me arm poept is het wel een vleermuis die op me tshirt en rok plast.Was wel raar hoor om een vleermuis vas te houden zo dun net of je het kon breken.


After that there was a giant python ... why not? It didn't really feel very safe to have it around my neck though, but I'm sure these guys know what they are doing!

Ook kon je er een python vast houden,vies bah, maar opzich wel grappig.


Our last stop was a temple called "Tanah Lot" we stayed for the sunset but it was cloudy so we didn't manage to get any great photos but it was still interesting to see. The temple is on a rock in the sea and can only be reached during low tide, only those of Indonesian blood may enter the temple and from what I saw it looked like those were only priests.

Hierna zijn we verder gereden naar Tanah Lot.Jammer dat het bewolkt was anders hadden we de zonsondergang kunnen zien.






We had a meal at Poppies Restaurant, one of Kuta's oldest restaurants or so they say. My chicken Sate even came with it's own mini BBQ, and one of the cocktails came in a coconut head, definitely the best meal I have had here in Indonesia!

s'avonds toen we terug kwamen bij Poppies restaurant gegeten wat een van Kuta's oudste restaurant was.
Heerlijk gado gado gegeten en Tony sate nog iets. En een super cocktail hadden we hier.





So all this sight seeing and surfing means we need some wind down time. While everyone back home is enjoying the snow we are trying not to melt! One day it was 38 degrees Celsius here so you know, pool, drinks etc make it all better! It's normally very humid and I think I am starting to adjust to the heat, though I still sweat buckets.

Volgende dag heerlijk gechillaxed bij het zwembad en smiddags gesurfed. Je hebt hier ook zo veeel winkels ook merk winkels wat wel wat goedkoper is dan in Nederland.Alleen wat zo super irritant is hier als je een winkel binnen gaat is dat het net lijkt als of je honing aan je kont hebt, als jij naar links gaat doet de medewerker van het personeel dat ook,ze achtervolgen je echt op de voet net als bijtjes die honing willen.Je kan niet even op je gemak de winkel kijken of je wat leuks ziet.Of ze komen meteen naar je toe en vragen "Which size miss" of ze achtervolgen je als of je gaat stelen. Verder zijn het wel lieve mensen hoor. Als je probeert bahasa te praten vinden ze dat helemaal leuk.



There is a Water Park just down the road from our hotel so we had to pay a visit, it's called "Waterbom" and had 9 different slides to mess around with.

De volgende dag zijn we naar een waterpark hier om de hoek gegaan "Waterbom" Leuk park, super veel glijbanen waar mee je ook met van die 2 persoons banden in kon geweldig.




There was one slide called "Climax" where you stood in a sealed tube, and the operator pushed a button to drop the floor out from beneath your feet to a 90 degree slide!

Der was ook een glijbaan, heb ik zelf nog nooit gezien, dan sta je zeg maar boven aan de glijbaan in een hokje met een bodem onder je, en dan wordt de deur dicht gedaan en tellen ze af van 3 tot 1 en dan gaat de bodem onder je weg en val recht naar beneden in de glijbaan. Deze heb ik toch maar aan me voorbij laten gaan en fotos van Tony genomen.



On the way back to the hotel we walked past the "Bubba Shrimp" restaurant, from Forest Gump, they even had a bench with some shoes and the box of chocolates!

Naast het waterbom park heb je een Bubba Shrimp restaurant en aan de voorkant een bankje net zoals in de film van Forrest Gump.


Kuta beach is ideal for watching the sun go down.

S'avonds naar het strand geweest en fotos genomen van de zonsondergang.




This has been our holiday within the holiday really, we had 10 days of nothing too crazy to relax and get out energy back. The last leg of our journey is upon us now ... We will head out for our tour of Bali, and Lombok in a few days to try and see as much of the island as we can before returning home. Hopefully we'll find time to post another update on the road which will probably be our last entry.

Thanks for reading!

Dit was het eigenlijk wel zo'n beetje, we hebben niet zoveel gedaan omdat we zaterdag een tour hebben naar andere plaatsen in Bali en Lombok en de Gilli Islands, dus eigenlijk waren deze 10 dagen lekker even om te genieten van ons laatste deel van de wereldreis.
Heb geen idee wanneer het volgende blog komt, waarschijnlijk pas 21 Dec.
Tot snel! Liefs Jen & Tony

Posted by Jen-Tony 22:40 Archived in Indonesia Comments (5)

(Entries 3 - 4 of 18) « Page 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »